Zach Brittle and Laura heck begin a new series on Connection. In this episode they explore the phenomenon of Roommate Syndrome and how it affects many couples. They show you the signs for how the slide begins and they discuss the power of a McDonald’s milkshake.e
- Three indicators you’ve slide into Roommate Syndrome: 1) an abundance of complacency, 2) a lack of curiosity, and 3) the avoidance of conflict.
- The Connection Quiz Discover how connected you are to your partner, and learn what it takes to create a thriving, empowered marriage.
Our mission is to reach as many couples as possible and break down the barrier between couples in pain and couples receiving the tools they need to thrive.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:27 – Many, many couples get stuck in roommate syndrome, where there’s a lack of meaningful connection between partners.
- 02:25 – “Roommate Syndrome” is a safety, a security, a comfort, it’s a complacency, it’s a fundamental trust, but it lacks intimacy. Couples who have slid into this condition have forgotten that they signed up for something amazing when they married. They’ve fallen into a routine and it’s all become pretty much of a drag.
- 03:23 – Some couples may not want a way out. Because they’re not willing to do the work to achieve intimacy.
- 03:40 – Marriage shouldn’t be about “settling down”. Who wants to “settle”? Who wants to go “down”? We should be reminding couples to strive for more.
- 04:10 – A story about how the slide to Roommate Syndrome occurs.
- 07:17 – It doesn’t need to be something elaborate to feel connected. It can be as simple as a drive through milk shake at McDonald’s – as long as it’s done together.
- 08:52 – What are signs that a couple might be creeping into Roommate Syndrome?
- 09:08 – The first sign is an abundance of complacency. There’s little fun, play, or meaningful interaction.
- 09:22 – The second sign is a lack of curiosity. Couples show little interest in going deeper to learn more about their partner.
- 09:46 – The third sign is conflict avoidance. This is where people walk on eggshells, or afraid to speak for fear of rocking the boat.
- 10:30 – Key takeaways…